4461 Rockfish Creek Lane
Special event for trainees! Please join us as we kickoff CASBBI’s Trainee Professional Development Series on Friday, February 14 from 1-2p in Krasnow 229. We will be joined by Dr. Laurence Bray, Mason’s Associate Provost for Graduate Education. Refreshments will be provided.
- Resources at Mason
- Resources at CASBBI and planned events
- Discussion: 1) What forms of support have you found helpful in your department and/or at Mason?; 2) What forms of support do you need or want?; 3) What topics would you like covered in the Professional Development Series?
- Q+A for graduate students or prospective graduate students applying to join the NRT
Who is encouraged to attend? Graduate students, post-docs, and undergraduate student who are interested in exploring and preparing for careers in or beyond academia. You (or your adviser) do not have to be formally affiliated with CASBBI to attend.
Why should you attend? This is an opportunity for you to help shape the content and format of CASBBI’s Professional Development series. We will be sharing resources and events we have planned, but we would like for you to lead this series, identifying topics to be covered and speakers to invite (for example, industry, research in the public sector, policy). You will also get to meet trainees in other departments, who are also interested in interdisciplinary research. If you would like to provide input, but cannot make the event, please reach out to Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What types of Trainee Professional Development events does CASBBI have planned?
- Exploring careers speaker series (for example, working for the government at a National Lab, Research in Industry, Consulting, Policy, Academia)
- Grant writing workshop (for example, NIH NRSA F31, NSF GRFP, NIH K99/R00)
- Communications workshops (for example, the elevator pitch or “how do I describe my dissertation in 20 seconds?!?!”)